Every small business should be thinking about SEO when creating content for their website; and should ensure that their business website is created and optimised to allow the best possible search engine optimisation to occur. This may sound complicated, but it really isn’t. Here are some vital “must do’s” to ensure that your business website gets the visibility it deserves in the search engines.
- The right platform – You can have a great web site but if it is built on a platform that google finds difficult to crawl, or can’t read, then there is no way you will be listed. Sites such as wordpress are designed with SEO in mind, and make it easy for your website to be found by search engines.
- Keyword research – This isn’t as complicated as it sounds! Just think about what people would be searching for when looking for your business or services. Then use a tool such as google keywords tool to see which search terms are searched the most!
- Meta data – This is a scary term for some, but it just means the keywords, titles and descriptions you give to your website pages. Use your keyword research to make informed decisions about these and you will greatly help your chances of your website appearing in search results.
- Images – If your website is very ‘image heavy’ be sure to include relevant alternative content that Google can read. Google can’t ‘see’ images, so no matter how relevant they are they will not help your search engine ranking.
- Content – Keep the content on your site relevant, helpful and unique. Not only will this help the keyword density on your website, but it will also ensure that other websites link back to yours; and these inbound links are vital for SEO.
Search engine optimisation of your business website should be an integral part of the ongoing strategy for your business; if your website is not optimised for the search engines then you could be missing out on hundreds of customers who are searching for businesses like yours; can you really afford to be missing out on their custom?