Each organisation will manage its customer helpdesk in a slightly different way. However as the move to outsourced customer service models and online helpdesk software continues, customers look set to expect an ever improved experience. A list of 5 tips to consider when building your helpdesk function follows:
1. Look for software support – forget clunky old legacy systems, invest in an online helpdesk software package with a third party provider. A range of helpdesk software packages can be fully integrated with your CRM system or even your business website.
2. Invest in your technology to keep up with changes in the industry – a good helpdesk software package will allow you to integrate with other business systems to track customer data – for example. It should help with measuring customer responses and queue times, feedback, agent performance -and provide valuable data for the business CRM and customer management systems.
3. Train your staff effectively to use online or technology based solutions. Once they lose their fear of new systems, they will find greater power and independence in managing their roles with confidence. Software with 24/7 Customer Support can give confidence to both the business owner, and the employee!
4. Incentivise staff to deliver a great customer experience. The helpdesk is the first point of contact for many customers and the staff on it are your front line. Ensure they are the best you can employ – enthusiastic, motivated and knowledgeable.
5. Link your helpdesk software to your business website – so that the customer has the option of finding answers to their own queries online – for example via a knowledge vine set-up, or by having an easy point of contact with customer service in the click of a button.